Thursday, November 17, 2005

Amazing how the time flies . . .

I can´t believe it has already been a week! So sorry to all of you out there who have been expectantly waiting for an update. Things here are still really good, and very busy. A disappointing experience the day after I posted the pictures was having my digital camera stolen by one of the hospital groups that had come to pick up supplies. Too bad that one of the people we are trying to help found it necessary to do that. The fortunate thing is that most of the pictures on the camera are from the time when Tim, Amy, and Brigitte were here so they all have pictures of that time, and Jill takes a million photos every day and is going to copy all of those to disc for me. Now I have a really good excuse to buy a new digital camera! The other upside is that I have been hauling around my two film cameras everywhere we go and have gotten some great shots that I otherwise probably would not have had.

We have been busy sorting some 500 garbage bags of shoes and clothes that were donated by the Guatemalan government - they were distributed yesterday and we have an even bigger truckload of stuff coming in this afternoon. We´ve spent lots of the last week visiting the nearby communities trying to get an idea of the need and loss as a result of hurricane Stan. It is still so mind blowing to me that these people who had so little to begin with can now have even less. Yesterday we went across the lake to the village of Panabaj which was literally covered with 4 feet of mud in the middle of the night. It was a very sad place to be. Not only have people´s homes, businesses, and fields been washed away, but many people lost their families and friends now buried under the tons of mud. The area´s only hospital that was opened a couple of years ago through lots of hard charity work was also completely destroyed in the storm. The closest hospital now is in Solola - a half hour boat ride then 20 minute truck ride away.

In spite of all of the sadness and loss here, everyday is a wonderful and precious experience. The Guatemalan people that I am working with are stoic and warm people that display a depth of understanding and compassion that is truly amazing. I am learning so much about the delivery of smart aid rather than just aid, and the experience is really invaluable. The focus has shifted a bit away from the training because of the disaster relief efforts underway, but we are still working with a couple groups of Bomberos here that are really enthusiastic, and I am enjoying being able to help where help really is needed.

Hope you are all doing well. More pictures to follow soon I promise . . .

Catherine

3 Comments:

At 11/17/2005 11:38:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

One post per week?? I cant take it... I need more. Looking forward to seeing some of Jills pics and I hope she has some of the hurricane damage done to these small towns. And Hopefully she has one of that house upriver from Sharons that became an island... That would make a great picture. Glad to see you're still having fun, Cya soon.

 
At 11/17/2005 06:04:00 p.m., Blogger Catherine Rentz said...

Cheeky comments! And no worries about the pictures you are looking for - I did mention I'm taking lots with my good camera right??? And sorry, but what house was that again?

 
At 11/19/2005 08:19:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The house was the one that you could see from the bridge that we crossed when we went to Sharons... big white place with "thanks Stan" spraypainted on the side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home