Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Las Palabras Mucho Malo en Español

There is a tradition that I have found inevitably occurs no matter where you are in the world. At some point in time, you learn how to swear in another language. Now the really fun part of this is that if you learn bad words in a language that isn´t spoken where you currently find yourself, you can yell them down the halls and no one even flinches . . . Except for the one person who knows what the word means. I learned my fair share of bad Spanish phrases in Chile. The nurses and one of the doctors at the hospital now know all kinds of wonderful and colorful phrases, and quite merrily went around saying them all afternoon. And yes, they taught me a few new ones too, only I have to wait until I´m back in Canada before I can use them effectively.

Another great day at the hospital, following a wonderful relaxing time in Baños. My only complaint is that I´m not taking many pictures, but there is time for that too. I found out yesterday that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week are national holidays. aka I don´t have to work. So I´m planning on heading off to a little jungle lodge about 5 hours from here on a very very safe bus. I think I´ll leave Saturday morning and make it a day trip - all the better to see the scenery that way (and its safer too). I had thought about doing a guided tour in the jungle, but this is apparently a difficult and expensive thing to organize when you are only one person. And I kind of like the idea of hammocks by the river interspersed with wandering through an ecological reserve with a naturalist guide . . . Canoe trips in the night to see the animals. Hopefully no fearsome badgers or ferocious turtles though (I highly doubt I´ll find either of those here).

So this is the big plan. You can check out the website of the cabañas at http://www.ecuadoramazonlodge.com/.

:o)

Emnlyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home