Saturday, October 23, 2004

There´s a Volcano Here . . . Somewhere

Here I am in Baños, a quiet little resort town at the base of a huge beautiful volcano. I know its a beautiful volcano because I have seen it from Ambato looming up above the clouds, happily pumping out wafts of grey smoke. The above the clouds part seems to be the key though. Baños is currently tucked safely away beneath those clouds. There are beautiful green mountains all around me though and hopefully the clouds will part and I will get to see this amazing creature before I leave.

Apparently I have caused some concern among the parental-types ;) with my comment about the women at the hospital not wanting me to go to Baños alone. Rest assured this has nothing to do with them being concerned about my safety, only that there is little understanding here about doing things by yourself. Why would one go somewhere alone when one could have the company of friends or family or both? So, after much convincing that I really didn´t want two of the secretaries to meet me here this evening (to show me around and keep me company), here I am alone and enjoying every minute of it. I arrived yesterday evening and got myself settled into a wonderful little hostal just outside of the centre of town. I have to admit I splurged a bit on accommodations, I am paying $20 a night for a beautiful room with a private bath, a little sitting area, a balcony, and breakfast. I brought all my laundry with me as well which is being done as I write this for somewhere around $4. What a luxury!

The bus ride last night was quite an experience as well. It cost a whole dollar for the hour long ride on a bus equipped with reclining seats, a bathroom, rather loud salsa music, and traveling salesmen to boot. Yes, traveling salesmen. The first young guy hopped on the bus while we were still in the terminal and dumped a handful of candy in my lap, only to return a minute later to collect his 25 cents. The next young man, who hopped on and then off the bus at the next stop, was selling travel toothbrushes, he was very convincing so I bought one, along with a little container of q-tips . . . About half an hour into the trip one of the guys sitting at the front of the bus stood up and started showing off his wares, along with an animated demonstration of every pen (with light so as to write in the dark), key chains, wallets, flasks, purses, and a million other little knick-knacks. It got a little tiring after the first five minutes and when I got off the bus at Baños 20 minutes later he was still going on and on and on . . . So my dollar bus ride turned into a $2.75 bus ride. But I am now the proud owner of two travel toothbrushes, 50 ¨cotton buds¨, and a handful of dreadfully sweet strawberry flavored candies . . .

Everything is still going really well at the hospital. I am working with the residents and my typical day consists of spending the morning in the operating room (either with the anesthetist or assisting the surgeon - I am getting really good at suturing). Then onto the rounds in the acute care area, checking up on post-surgery patients. After lunch, which is always very tasty, its on to the clinic downstairs to assess walk-in patients. I have been doing more and more every day, and am really enjoying working with the residents. I am learning a lot about antibiotic treatment, and the typical disease presentations that are common here. Lots of cold and flu stuff, but also lots of illnesses related to water contamination, pollution, and malnutrition. We had a little girl the other day (9 months) who has had flu-like symptoms for about a week. Her parents had been giving her an adult cold medicine that contains pseudoephedrin, which is basically a natural form of ¨speed¨. Needless to say it hadn´t helped her any.

Outside of work everything is going well also. I love the family I am staying with, they are all very wonderful and very patient with my spanish. It is a little different for me living with 3 other people, but on a whole a very good experience. My only difficulty is how hard it is to express myself and to understand the little nuances of what is happening around me. That isolation is hard at times, but it is also really forcing me to listen and to learn, which is so good.

Well, I guess I should probably go explore this beautiful place I am in some more, tomorrow I am planning on a mountain bike ride about 20 km down into the high jungle. Fortunately there is a bus that will return me and my bike back up the mountain . . .

Take care,
Emnlyn

1 Comments:

At 10/24/2004 08:30:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the solo ride down the mountain into the high jungle should not stimulate further concern from one of the parental types? I guess it's better than going and looking over the edge of the volcano by yourself - or perhaps I should refrain from giving you any ideas. Amazing experiences. CT-M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home